Homemade vs store bought cookies
With all of us focused on the cost of living and food prices, making it increasingly difficult to buy treats or luxuries, here’s one thing… homemade cookies. They are an absolute treat, better for you than purchased cookies, quick and easy to make and so affordable.
Bran or oatmeal cookies
Makes 30 cookies
- 110g softened butter
- 1 cup regular sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plain flour + extra for rolling
- 1 cup bran or oatmeal – process in a food processor or blender
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Put the oven at 160°C convection and line 1 or 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Stir in flour and bran/oats until it forms a ball. Cut in half and roll out each ball of dough on a well-floured surface. Use a round cookie cutter or a thin-lipped glass or mug to cut into circles. Any size you like.
- Transfer to lined tray. Prick each with a fork. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then knock and flip the tray and bake for another 3-5 minutes when they should be nice and golden.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- These cookies freeze exceptionally well. They can also be buttered or sandwiched with frosting for an extra treat.
TOTAL COST: $2.76 for 30 cookies (9 cents per cookie)
Ginger nuts $2.90 / 10
Bran cookies $5.50 / 12
Krispies $2.90 / 24