Victim named in Chch stabbing

A 37-year-old man charged with murdering a Christchurch woman on her way home from work on Saturday has been remanded in custody and reports have ordered his mental health assessed.

And the deceased woman can now be named Laisa Maraia Waka.

Just before the defendant was due in court, Waka’s adult daughter in Fiji posted a letter she had written to her mother on Facebook.

She said she was woken up at 5.30am yesterday and told the terrible news.

“It’s hurtful and unacceptable,” she said.

She last spoke to Waka on Mother’s Day and never imagined it would be their last contact.

“We have never met physically in the past four years, and I was looking forward to seeing you…but you left us early,” she wrote.

She remembers surprising her mother with a secret trip to New Zealand and taking her parents to a Crusaders rugby match.

She would miss her mother’s stories, she wrote.

“You have always been my role model since day one,” she said.

“You always encourage me to be more hardworking, to be independent, to be respectful, to pray a lot, to always lend a helping hand, to love and cherish your families and friends on both sides.

“I thank God for giving us such a loving and caring mum who is hardworking and (who) cherishes every moment of her loved ones.

“I’m so grateful to be your daughter – the way we always ended our calls with ‘I love you so much lewa, and I miss you. Don’t worry, we’ll meet and see you again soon’ I will miss you surely. “

She said there would never be a day when she didn’t think of her mother.

“I can’t begin to express how much I’m going to miss you. There’s a huge hole in my heart and I don’t know how I’m going to cope.

“I will always think of you, Mom.

“Your legacy is one that will inspire us all and we will remember your love and warmth forever.”

The man accused of stabbing Waka to death was granted an interim deletion of his name during a brief appearance at Christchurch District Court this morning.

Judge Mark Callaghan took him into custody without a plea at Christchurch High Court on July 15.

Defense attorney Josh Lucas made no bail request but asked for the name to be temporarily removed.

Mr Justice Callaghan granted interim deletion of the name and requested a report under section 38 of the Criminal Procedure (Persons with Mental Disorders) Act 2003 to assess the man’s fitness to stand his court case.

The accused did not speak during the hearing where he appeared by audio-visual link.

Members of Waka’s family were in court this morning, silently watching from the public gallery.

Outside of court, they declined to comment but were grateful for the support they were receiving.

Waka, in her 50s, was allegedly stabbed as she walked down Cheyenne St, Sockburn, after getting off the work bus on Saturday afternoon.

Despite the efforts of the emergency services, she died on the spot.

Flowers were laid today at the scene where Waka was killed on Saturday.

The large police cordon that surrounded the site yesterday as investigators pieced together what happened has now been lifted.

His family pays tribute to him today on social networks.

A relative said Waka’s death “is not easy” on the family and described her as a “big sister” and “a smiling and caring neighbour”.

Another friend thanked Waka for “a lifetime of good upbringing, teaching and loving kindness.”

He said he was “dried” by the news of her death.

“I miss you so much, you will always be in my heart…it hurts when we look back on your life.”

Another said her heart was “in pieces”.

“Why?” she asked upon learning of the drama.

“How it hurts when we remember this kind and caring woman,” another friend said.

The 37-year-old woman now charged with her murder was known to police and found nearby by officers and has been charged with the murder of the woman.

It is understood the man was receiving mental health care from the Canterbury District Health Board.

The DHB and the office of Health Minister Andrew Little both declined to comment.

Two people were initially arrested following the attack, which happened at 4.20pm, but one was later released by police after being found to be a relative of the man charged by the police. aftermath of murder.

The hearts of the people of Christchurch go out to the family and friends of Waka who was “killed in such a senseless and violent attack”, said the city’s mayor, Lianne Dalziel.

“A crime of this nature will also have a devastating impact on the community, and they too will want answers about how and why it happened.”

Superintendent John Price, Canterbury District Commander, said the alleged murder was ‘a gruesome, traumatic and random attack on an innocent person who was just returning home from work’.

Price said police’s thoughts are with the grieving family of the victim who are coping with the loss of a partner, mother, friend and colleague.

At this stage, police will not release any further details about the victim until all next of kin have been notified.

This traumatic and senseless act would have a huge impact on the community as a whole and across New Zealand, he said.

Price also wanted to reassure residents of their presence in the area as they conducted a scene survey and sought to speak to witnesses. He also called on anyone who saw anything, or anyone with CCTV footage, to come forward.

“Nobody deserves this,” Price said.

The knife was found at the scene.

Comments are closed.